YOUTH (5th-6th) & MIDDLE SCHOOL (7th-8th grade) RUGBY is designed to introduce the contact game of rugby in a safe and enjoyable environment. Our experienced and licensed coaches introduce the sport and the techniques to safely play tackle rugby.
Player safety is of utmost importance. Both tacklers and ball carriers are taught how to tackle and be tackled safely. In particular, rugby tackles are quite different from football tackles. During practices and games, proper technique and safe play are emphasized by coaches and referees.
Have a young lady interested in playing tackle? SYA has several experienced female coaches that will serve as excellent role models and we’d love to start a girl’s team as there are several in the area ready. Girls are invited to participate in the Spring tackle clinics and encouraged to bring friends to give the sport a try.
Summer Season Registration
- Season runs June through July (Registration is now open!)
- Practices typically Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:00-7:30pm
- Games on Saturday morning
- Who’s it for?
- Tackle programs for Boys currently in 5th through 8th grade (Girls 5-8th grade will combine with other local area programs to play in an assembly – email & let us know you are interested!)
- Two-hand touch programs for Boys & Girls in 1st through 6th grade
“Introduction to Rugby” Spring Clinics
- When? March through May
- Description: These weekend-only sessions are intended to safely introduce the game of rugby and teach proper technique in the contact version of the game. This will give players a chance to make an informed decision whether to play tackle or non-contact tag rugby this summer.
- Sessions teach the fundamentals of safely making contact while having fun.
- We recognize that spring sports are in full swing and we encourage players to try to make the clinic sessions as they are able.
- Clinic fee covers USA Rugby CIPP registration and a t-shirt.