The Courtney Richard Volleyball Scholarship
Since 2003, SYA Volleyball has awarded this annual scholarship to help graduates defray a portion of their continuing education expenses. Each year, SYA Volleyball awards one scholarship to a graduate (from high school) to be used at the school of his/her choice.
The SYA Volleyball Scholarship is named in honor of Courtney Richard. Courtney developed her volleyball skills on the CYA and SYA courts and became an outstanding setter at Chantilly High School where she played on the Freshman and Junior Varsity teams. In June of 2004, at the end of her sophomore year, Courtney passed away from complications due to viral meningitis. In 2005, SYA renamed our Scholarship to honor Courtney’s passion for volleyball.
Southwestern Youth Association (SYA) Volleyball is now accepting applications for their 2020 SYA Volleyball Scholarship (Courtney Richard Scholarship). This annual scholarship is awarded by SYA Volleyball to help graduates defray a portion of their continuing education expenses. This year, SYA Volleyball will award one $3,000 scholarship to a graduate (from high school) to be used at the school of his/her choice. If a Scholarship winner is ineligible to accept the monetary award because of NCAA scholarship restrictions, an additional SYA Volleyball scholarship will be awarded.
Should you like to be considered for this scholarship, please prepare the following information and return to the SYA Volleyball Commissioner by July 20, 2020. The winner will be notified by email by July 25, 2020.
Please use the following format in a Word or plain text document for submission:
· Name, address, phone number and email address of the candidate.
· Youth Volleyball team affiliation(s), if any, and years of affiliation (please include House/Rec, Travel, Club and High School), any awards or leadership positions held, and any coaching or refereeing done (number of years/seasons)
· High School attended and GPA
· College or other school you will attend
· Essay about how you have made a difference to your team(s) and contributed to the SYA Volleyball philosophy of developing a “love for the sport, advanced skills, teamwork, and the principles of good sportsmanship.”
· Other pertinent information such as community service, church activities, school activities other than volleyball, etc. Please indicate time spent and levels of responsibility.
The total application should be no more than two pages.
Criteria used to select the recipients includes:
· Volleyball Team Commitment and Leadership
· SYA Participation & Involvement
· School and Community Involvement
Completed application should be emailed to email@example.com
2019 Scholarship Winner
The winner of the 2019 Courtney Richard Volleyball Scholarship is Sarah Parks of W.T. Woodson High School. Sarah’s name has been added to the plaque of all previous awardees, and as per our tradition, the plaque will now be displayed at her high school for the upcoming year. Congratulations, Sarah!
2018 Scholarship Winner
The winner of the 2018 Courtney Richard Volleyball Scholarship is Lizzie Heier of Oakton High School.
Congratulating Lizzie for her award is Gary Flather, President of SYA Sports, and Sue Newman, Director of SYA Volleyball Club